See below for the RLA's position on the following issues
The association celebrated it’s 100th anniversary in 2011, two years before Canberra’s centenary in 2013. Mr Geoff Hyles, Honorary Lifetime Member formerly of “Castle Hill” and “Kambah Station” has undertaken extensive research into the history of farming in the Territory and the following is a snapshot.
In response to the Federal Government's plan to acquire all the land for the proposed National Capital, in 1911 the Vigilance Association was formed by local farmers and there has been a continuity of farmer associations from then to the present day. The first Lessees’ Association was formed on March 1 1919 but it faded with the increased influence of soldier settlers and their desire to stick together. The second Rural Lessees’ Association commenced on January 28 1926, but with so many away fighting bushfires, the inaugural meeting was rescheduled for February 11 1926.
The association was central in the negotiations with the ACT Government under Chief Minister Kate Carnell that led to 99 year lease tenure for rural land. The first 99 year leases were signed in 2000. Soon after, the Association changed its name to ACT Rural Landholders' Association Inc to reflect the increased respect for our land title.
The association has an executive of 4 elected office holders and a committee of an additional 11 elected members to actively assist in the association’s work. The association meets 4 times per year including an annual general meeting, with the committee meeting around 8 times per year.
In advance of each general meeting, the president provides members with access to an agenda and brief report outlining the activities and actions undertaken, plus the treasurer’s statement outlining the status of financial accounts for the quarter. At the annual general meeting a full year’s report is provided.
Roles and responsibilities